Sunday, November 27, 2011

God is faithful,
and by him you were called to fellowship with his Son,
Jesus Christ our Lord.
1 Corinthians 1:9

Advent. Wow. It's already Advent. And I find myself completely unprepared for this season... But then again, Advent is all about becoming prepared, so I guess it's appropriate...

The first reading for today's liturgy says it fairly well, "Behold, you are angry, and we are sinful; all of us have become like unclean people, all our good deeds are like polluted rags..." I must admit that there are times that I echo this very same line when I am faced with my own personal brokenness and selfishness. But, more often than not I am moved to this sort of prayer when reading the news paper or internet news sources, increasing my awareness of our world's brokenness.

"Watch!" The one word sentence Jesus states emphatically at the end of today's Gospel is part of the answer. "Be watchful! Be alert!" For what, exactly? The presence of Christ...

We say that during Advent we prepare for the coming of Jesus. But, really, Jesus has already come... Jesus is here. Advent, then, is a time to cultivate our awareness of Jesus... an opening of our hearts and our eyes to areas in our lives and in our world that need to be awakened to Jesus' presence within and among us.

To open our eyes to the presence of Jesus and to recognize the areas of our lives and of our world that need to be awakened to the presence of Jesus... should lead us to action. Someone once said that with knowledge comes responsibility. To recognize brokenness in ourselves and/or in our world is not enough. That can lead to bitterness, despair, or self-righteousness among other things. But, we are called to respond. And that seems daunting to me. And it is daunting if I believe it's in my power or control or if I believe that it's all on my shoulders. "... Christ was confirmed among you, so that you are not lacking in any spiritual gift as you wait for the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ.... God is faithful..."

Today our community will have a day of retreat & reflection. It is a wonderful way to enter fully into this season of Advent... cultivating silence opens space within for recognition and ultimately for conversion.

Many blessings to all who read my scattered thoughts this day!
Sr. N

No comments: