Saturday, September 23, 2023

"Oh... we're halfway there! Oh-oh living on a prayer!"

“Focus on the journey, not the destination.
Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.”
Greg Anderson

It really is hard to believe that we've reached the halfway point in our program. In some ways, it feels like we've been here a really long time (so many experiences, conversations, reflections, etc.), and in other ways, it feels like we haven't been here that long - there are still people with whom I haven't talked much at all. But... here we are. 

This past week has been different. The SM and the FMI spent Monday - Friday in separate meetings. The Brothers spent the week learning about formation in their history - reading many documents and in conversation about current formation. At least, that's what I understand about what they were up to. As for the FMI... we were working on the revision of our congregational Guide to Formation.

This document, which is in the process of being revised, establishes the framework, contents, methods, and resources for the formation of new Sisters. Each day we read and looked at the guide from a different perspective (with the help of certain documents). We'd spend time in individual reflection followed by discussion in language groups and finally deciding as a group on our recommendations for edits to the guide. It was hard work, to be honest. We worked without a translator. So, we translated for each other. And while I'm the only one for whom English is her first language, we did most of our work in English (with side conversations in Spanish and French). Once we finished, the two of us who served as secretaries for the week worked on a synthesis document which the group approved, and we will submit it to our General Administration for the next stage of the updating process. 

Secretaries hard at work on the document.
I loved the fact that we were both wearing purple.
She didn't notice until I said something. 

The FMIs at work











One day, the FMIs decided to sit together at lunch. You would think we were doing something terrible with the response we received from the Brothers. So much grief! But, all in good fun...

Even with all the work, we were still smiling.


This morning, Saturday, we are back with the SM for our morning session. We're taking a look at what our recent General Chapters have to teach us about formation. 

We are free for the rest of the weekend (except for communal prayer and meals). Although, I think we have a social planned for this evening. We do not have an outing planned for this afternoon or tomorrow. So, laundry day for me, maybe? And maybe I can read something...? Or sleep?? All good options. We'll see what happens. 😊

At this point in our time here, I am reflecting on lessons I'm learning outside of our sessions. I'm learning a lot in terms of content. This is true. But there are many other things not included in our sessions. Here are a few things (in no particular order):

  • The higher the cotton content of clothing, the easier it is to wash by hand, the faster it dries, and the softer it is when dry. Why I brought so many things with polyester and spandex is an annoying mystery to me.
  • Speaking a common language does not guarantee a connection. A common language does not necessarily indicate a similar sense of humor, perspective on life, or value system. Building a connection takes work and can be exhausting.
  • My social awkwardness, which is a normal fact of life, is magnified when I'm in an unfamiliar context. It's off the charts without others who share my home context.
  • Singing in a different language is a lot easier than reading that same language out loud or understanding someone speaking. I've learned I can sing in a few languages and understand what I'm singing. But don't ask me to read the same words out loud... It's so much harder! 🤔 Why can't I use my signing brain at other times?
  • I know so little about the history of different countries on the African continent. 
  • The sun is more intense when you're closer to the equator. I know that. But I've experienced it in new ways.
  • The narratives we play in our minds make a huge difference in terms of attitude and behavior... and can either build bridges or walls between people. There is a choice involved. 
That's all for now. Now I'm off to embrace a free afternoon.

Many blessings,
Sr. N



No comments: