Saturday, January 12, 2008

I, the Lord, have called you... I formed you... 
to open the eyes of the blind, to bring out prisoners from confinement, 
and from the dungeon, those who live in darkness.
Isaiah 42: 6ab, 7

Wow... it's probably been "forever" since I've posted twice in one week. It's great to have a week in which that's possible!

This weekend I am going to have a very different experience... A priest here in town has asked me to speak at his weekend Masses after the homily. On what? Vocations. 

Needless to say, I'm a little nervous. First, public speaking scares me. Yep. I get really, crazy nervous... my palms sweat, my stomach feels weird, and it takes a lot of energy not to allow the nervousness to show. I'm also nervous, though, because I've never been asked to do something of this "magnitude." It's a large parish... it's in the context of Eucharist - the source and summit of our faith... That's daunting to me! 

So, why did I agree? Well, for one, I need to learn to be okay with public speaking. Not that I see a great deal of it in the future (who knows the future?!), but because I have this sneaking suspicion that this will not be the last time God asks me to stretch outside of my comfort zone. Secondly, I think it's good for people to see that young people (no comments on that! I'm still considered a young adult! :) ) still say yes to religious life. Lastly, it's good for me to reflect on and prepare for something like this... it's like recommitting.

As I was praying with this weekend's readings... and reflecting on this new experience to come this evening and tomorrow morning, I was truly struck by the first reading from Isaiah in the context of the celebration of Jesus' baptism.

We are all called... and formed by God... to give sight to the blind, give release to prisoners, and to bring light to those in darkness... because we are baptized into Jesus' mission. But, not all of us are called to do this in the same way. Though baptism we are all given the graces necessary to participate in Jesus' mission of building the Reign of God. It's just a matter of cooperating and saying "yes." And as St. Paul says elsewhere in Scripture, to each of us are given different gifts, but the same Spirit, the same Lord... the same mission (my word choice...).

Anyway, I just thought I'd share with you what I was praying with this morning...

Other than that my weekend is pretty low-key... thankfully! Last night was a great way to start this weekend. Our community had a simple supper, but sat around the table having a great discussion about religious life and our experiences for a long time. After prayer we played a few rounds of one of our favorite games (RummiKubes, anyone?) and watched some tv together. That's a good way to start the weekend, as far as I'm concerned. 

Next weekend begins my busy semester of travel. I will be out of town or really busy 4 of the next 6 weekends! I'm excited, though. Those of you who have known me for a few years know that this is just getting back to life as "normal" in the life of Nicole! Next weekend I will be in Philadelphia for the first time. I'll be there for meetings, but I'll get a chance to do some sightseeing and visiting with a good friend from high school and his family as well. Two weeks later I'll be in Cape May Pointe for a Marianist young adult retreat (ages 22-35... see, I still fit!). Then... I get to visit Texas... for meetings, of course, but it'll be good to be back anyway!

Well, I'm off to do some community grocery shopping!
Blessings on all who read this!
~ Sr. N

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I hope that all went well today (I'm sure it did :). It's a grace to be able to share a witness in the way and format that Father provided so I hope that your comfort zone has expanded and you were able to "enjoy" the experience.

Listen, I know your schedule is probably full, but if while you are in Phila, you have time to meet a blog friend, just e-mail me. I am in NJ, but not too far from Phila. In any case, enjoy the journeys of the next few weeks!!

Lisa said...

Sorry, I didn't get back to you sooner but I was involved with a friend's funeral this week. Hope your trip to Phila is going well.

Kelly_SSJ said...

I hope all was well. I am sure it was super de duper! And I hope you are ding well and enjoying wintery weather was we are here. :)